Monthly Archives: April 2016
A lawyer’s career can be both challenging as well as rewarding and it also offers a wide scope of practice. A lawyer can have his or her own private practice, can work with a law firm or in a corporate firm, can be employed with the government or even pursue a career as a political leader. However, getting to this very lucrative career requires a lot of time and dedication towards the purpose. In fact, it is said that obtaining a lawyer’s degree is tougher than obtaining a medical degree. It involves pursuing high level of education and qualifying various examinations, even after obtaining the degree. Those wanting to become a lawyer, must understand that they need to focus on their educational goals, all throughout. So, what are the qualifications to be a lawyer? Listed below are the requirements to become a lawyer.
Requirements To Be a Lawyer
There are three main lawyer requirements. The first requirement is that you should have studied for four years and achieved a bachelor’s degree. After that to get enrolled into a law school you will need to pass the law school admission test. Once, you are done with this you will study in the law school to get another degree. Finally, to get the license to practice law, you will have to appear and pass the bar exam.
Obtaining a bachelor’s degree is the first requirement to be a lawyer. There is no specific course that you need to pursue at this level. You can pursue a course of your choice, provided you do well in it. College grades will matter a lot, while seeking admission into a law school. When in college, you can start training yourself for law school. You will need to develop your communication skills, analytical and logical thinking, writing and researching skills. You can also take up additional courses in foreign languages, history, philosophy, public speaking, etc. Also, you can enroll for preparatory courses for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), as it is crucial in obtaining admission into a good law school.
Law School Admission Test
The law school admission test is an entrance exam for law schools, conducted four times in a year by the Law School Data Assembly Service. It mainly evaluates verbal reasoning and reading skills. Its grades are important in determining the law school, you would be enrolling into. The law schools that fall under the jurisdiction of the American Bar Association, require their applicants to qualify the LSAT. Law schools consider the applicant’s LSAT scores, college grades, undergraduate school quality and if required, may also conduct a personal interview before accepting the applicant. You will also need to send your certified transcripts and college grades to the Law School Data Assembly Service, which then forwards the same to the law schools.
The first year of law school involves the study of courses such as legal writing, contracts, property law, civil procedure, constitutional law and torts. In the remaining two years, you would be pursuing specialized courses, like corporate law, tax or labor law. The three years in law school would also include activities, like moot court competitions, practicing in legal clinics and practicing under experienced judges and lawyers. At the end of the three years, successful students obtain the ‘juris doctor’ degree.
Those who would like to teach or research in the field of law, would need to acquire advance law degrees. Others can become accident lawyers, bankruptcy lawyers, divorce lawyers, etc.
A law school pass out, holding a ‘juris doctor’ degree, would need to get licensed before he/she can practice in a court of law. Getting licensed would mean being admitted to the bar of the State, under the rules established by the State’s highest court. For this, you would have to qualify a written examination conducted by the bar and also a written ethics examination. The criteria for qualifying these examinations is – that the applicant should be a graduate from an American Bar Association accredited law school and should hold a valid college degree.
These requirements to be a lawyer, will help you obtain the degree required, but to be a successful lawyer you would need certain qualities like perseverance, the ability to reason appropriately and effective communication skills with the clients. These were the requirements to become a lawyer in United States. However, the requirements to be a lawyer change slightly from country to country.
Because of the ever changing legal provisions, it will not be that easy for most people to understand just how business policies really work. Society constantly demands changes and revisions to make sure that the law goes for the benefit of everybody. As a business owner, it is only right for you to acquire a legal counsel or representation.
Preparation for the future is best done with your legal counsel at bay for what may come. You do not need to look for investments and businesses before you find it necessary. As soon as you become property owners or start building your assets, you will have to obtain business law services. Along the way, you will encounter business related issues that will require the expertise of a reliable legal counsel. It is crucial to get your representation even before issues arise.
The following are some tips to guide you so you will be able to make a good choice when searching for a lawyer.
Name your budget. Often, you get what you pay for. Know that most of those who charge high will give the best service.
Normally, big firms have better connections as well as better experience. Their years of exposure to how business laws work will truly give you an edge over your issues. Also, the connections a big firm has will make it easier for you to work out your legal problems. Preparing documents will also be easy for you. In case you face a legal issue that your resident lawyer is not an expert of, you can always rely on his connections in the firm for assistance. This can be true for services that include drafting a will or managing your investments. You may also choose to go with the smaller firms such as when conveyancing fees. You will only pay lesser than what you need to pay for the bigger firms for business law. However, you must be very careful in checking out if your potential choice offers real good deals.
Start making a choice among your potential lawyers by narrowing down your list to their corresponding fields of expertise. In this way, it will be easier for you to know which one is fit for your need for business law assistance.
Although these given tips can help you, you must know that nothing compares to working with the most reliable and reputable in the industry. Their reputation will not only assure you of their trust-worthy track record but also better and bigger opportunities in your business ventures.
Personal injury law is one of the most lucrative fields of law and is concerned with providing compensation for injuries, both physical and emotional. Personal injury lawyers are also referred to as trial lawyers and represent people who are involved in vehicle collisions, work injuries, assaults, medical errors and other accidents. The injury claim settlement often run in thousands of dollars, making for a large percentage for the lawyer.
Personal injury law or tort law helps individuals to claim relief for the damages suffered because of a third party. The third party can be a government agency, large corporation, medical institution or a person. Personal injury law deals with charges such as assault, trespass, battery, negligence etc. Personal injury law is categorized into three broad categories. These are:
- Intentional torts
- Negligent torts
- Strict liability torts
Individuals who wish to take personal injury law as a career field should have completed a four-year degree course and a law degree from a accredited institution. After completing the law degree an individual is required to pass the following bar exams:
- Multistate Bar Examination (MBE)
- Multistate Essay Examination (MEE)
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE)
After passing these examinations, it is important for an individual to get certified by the American Bar Association to be recognized as a specialist in personal injury law. Some of the best institutions to study personal injury law are
- Harvard Law School
- Stanford Law School
- Yale Law School
- Columbia Law School
- University of Chicago Law School
- Cornell Law School
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Northwestern University School of Law
- University of Michigan Law School
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
A personal injury lawyer has to research all the aspects of the case to determine whether he or his law firm would benefit from representing the client. If he feels that the case is strongly in his client’s favor, then he starts the paperwork for the case by conducting researches, interviewing clients and evaluating the strategies. Some other duties and responsibilities are
- A personal injury lawyer has to gather evidence that can be produced in court like medical records, police records, etc.
- He has to prepare legal briefs and testimonies for case preparation.
- Personal injury lawyers are entrusted with advising corporate clients on various legal matters as large organizations are most vulnerable to lawsuits.
These were some of the duties and responsibilities of a personal injury lawyer. The demand for personal injury lawyers has increased in the last few years and the employment outlook for this field is positive. Let us now more about the career opportunities and average salary of a personal injury lawyer.
Like other branches of law, personal injury lawyers either work independently or with a firm. Initially, they work as associates, but with experience, they can work as partners in a firm. The lawyers who work independently usually work for lower fee and are willing to take up smaller cases. The employment outlook for personal injury lawyers is positive with estimates pointing out that this field will see a growth of 13% by the year 2018.
The average salary of a personal injury lawyer depends on certain factors like the state that they are working in and the size of the firm that has employed them. The salary range for personal injury lawyers in America is between $51,700 to $90,000. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are the cities that offer the best compensation packages to personal injury lawyers. As far as the state wise ranking is concerned, California leads the list, followed by New York and Florida.
This was some information on the average salary and employment outlook of personal injury lawyers. As accidents, bankruptcy cases, work related accidents continue to rise, personal injury lawyers are being sought after by organizations and individuals. A career as a personal injury lawyer is financially rewarding and provides you with numerous growth opportunities for advancement.
The process of immigration is extremely complex and it requires, in most cases, the assistance of attorneys. Before you move to the US, the US government wants you to complete all the formalities stipulated by the immigration laws and submit all the necessary documents. One of the main reasons behind strict and complex immigration laws is to control the influx of people with nefarious pursuits and ensure that security of the nation remains unchallenged. Believe it or not, the same policy is followed by many other nations which definitely creates a lot of hassles for law abiding citizens who want to change their future prospects by immigrating to some other place they think has opportunities for them. Choosing an immigration lawyer can help you in the entire process.
Choosing the Right Immigration Attorney in US Immigration
It is vital to choose an experienced and reputed lawyer to take care of the issues related to your immigration. It is because you don’t want to end up facing adverse situations in getting permission to enter in the country, even if you deserve it so, from all angles. A right lawyer will help you in dealing with all legal and official formalities. Being aware of all the complex laws related to immigration to US, a lawyer will help you in a professional way. You won’t get stuck with piles of legal papers and completing all formalities without guidance. Hiring an immigration lawyer must not be done in a hurry. Follow the below tips to know how to hire an immigration lawyer.
- His integrity and honesty in making you aware of the rules and laws regarding immigration is also important. If he is encouraging you to lie or go for counterfeit documents, you should forget about hiring that lawyer. You don’t want to live in another country, with fake documents. Right?
- Check the affiliation of the lawyer you are choosing. If he or she is a member of the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association (AILA), then it is a good sign. The AILA is, by far, the most reputed network of professional immigration lawyers. If he is there, it means he is in sync with changing dynamics of immigration laws.
- Communication skills of the lawyer matter a lot. If you are unable to understand or explain the lawyer your case, it can lead to lack of understanding between you both. You must be comfortable with the language of the lawyer.
- Immigration is strictly federal in nature and there are no specific state laws. So you don’t need to go for a state attorney. Choose the best lawyer irrespective of the state, as nowadays, petitions can also be filed online.
- Credentials, board certifications, accolades and educational qualifications of the lawyer give you a detailed idea about the expertise of the immigration lawyer. But this is just an indicator and not a cent percent truth. It is best to research about the work experience of the lawyer. What he did as a lawyer is more important, even if he has graduated from a mediocre law school.
- How do you find the services of the immigration lawyer and his team. Does he own a dedicated office with upgraded technology and Internet. Does he own a secured website? Do you find it easier to browse the website?
- Do you find the information on his website, well researched and with citation? A good lawyer will always give his best to keep all information on his website, updated.
- Lawyers fee is certainly the most crucial factor. If he is charging you way too high or low (highly unlikely, isn’t it?) then look for competitive prices by contacting a number of other lawyers in the same line of business. Don’t pay too much, as there are many other talented lawyers whom you can hire. Search well!
- Work experience of the lawyer is also one of the greatest determiners of success in this field. Immigration lawyers with years of experience in the field of immigration laws can help you immensely.
- You must make sure that the immigration attorney has no track record of irregularities or complaints in the reputed State bar. Any complain in the state bar is a sign that the attorney has some problems in his business practice. And it is only in genuine cases that complaints against attorneys are considered in state bars, so you must examine this factor.
- You can also rely on referrals of people close to you. It is always great to go through referrals, as you don’t need market sources to question the ability of the lawyer.
- Office of the attorney and the number of staff workers can also give you a great idea about his work.