Tag Archives: US
Does the legal side of commercial undertakings interest you more than the pecuniary exchanges themselves? Do you feel intrigued by all those legal formalities and paperwork involved in the fulfillment of a commercial agreement? Does watching a corporate undertaking’s back to make sure it doesn’t get into legal hassles sounds challenging to you? Well, that clearly indicates towards your love for ensuring proper obedience to procedures and regulations. If that’s true, then I would say you have the callings for a career in the field of commercial law. Mulling over the career prospects of corporate law? Well, you’ve hit the right page in that case! Read straight ahead to gather all the information you’re looking for.
Academic Requirements for Corporate Lawyer Profile
So, what educational and vocational qualifications should adorn a professionally drafted corporate lawyer resume that will fit the requirements of your prospective employer? To begin with, you need an undergraduate certification in any pre-law discipline, management or business administration. Thereafter, you must get yourself enrolled in a decent law school. In case you wish to pursue a career in the US, make sure the law school is accredited by the American Bar Association. You need to sit for and clear the LSAT with decent scores to get into a good law school. Besides graduating in law, you also need to have an excellent vocabulary along with good writing and speaking skills. A knack for details, logical reasoning and research is an added advantage. While you’re at it, also make sure you participate in clinical law programs and practice trials as much as possible to hone your skills and gain experience in handling legal situations and cases. Once you graduate, zero in upon the state where you intend to practice law and take the bar exam that is held for prospective practitioners in that state. Get yourself an internship spot with a reputed firm or a well regarded senior lawyer for more exposure and hands-on experience.
Corporate Lawyer Job Description
The primary duty of a corporate lawyer is to represent his/her corporate client in all matters that have to do with commercial, state and Federal law with regards to commercial transactions proposed or undertaken by the latter. Other duties of a corporate lawyer involve overseeing legal aspects of taxes, account statements, acquisition and renewal of various commercial licenses, payment of tariffs, fees and duties, etc. Supervising and advising the client in matters of labor relations, workmen’s compensation, strikes and lockouts, retrenchment and other such matters affecting labor relations also fall within the scope of a corporate lawyer’s job description. Also, keeping an alert eye on copyright and patent issues and overseeing the legality of all commercial contracts (writing them as well) is a part of the corporate lawyer’s duties.
Corporate Lawyer Salary
Law pays – trust me! On the entry-level, a corporate lawyer can expect to earn an average salary of $65,000 in a year. With an experience ranging between 2-4 years, a corporate lawyer can earn as much as $1,00,000 on an average in a year! As you gain more years in terms of experience in the field of corporate law, the fatter your paycheck gets! Don’t believe me? Well check this – 10 years of corporate law experience equals an average annual income of $2,00,000! How much you earn also depends upon the type of undertaking that hires you. Private commercial corporates are regarded as the highest payers while hospitals and NGOs are somewhat thrifty payers. Also, instead of being employed at a single undertaking, you can practice as a consultant and offer your legal services to a number of corporate clients, charging a fixed amount of fee for each case/consultation.
So, now that you know how to become a corporate lawyer, go ahead and get studying the right stuff. Trust me, all those long hours of mugging up (endless acts, case laws, clauses, sub-clauses – I know it sounds cumbersome, I’ve been through it all myself!) will pay off handsomely once you graduate with good scores and set your foot in the professional arena! Perseverance and burning the midnight oil is the key to clicking as high earning corporate lawyer with a formidable reputation in the courtroom! Wish you all the best!
The process of immigration is extremely complex and it requires, in most cases, the assistance of attorneys. Before you move to the US, the US government wants you to complete all the formalities stipulated by the immigration laws and submit all the necessary documents. One of the main reasons behind strict and complex immigration laws is to control the influx of people with nefarious pursuits and ensure that security of the nation remains unchallenged. Believe it or not, the same policy is followed by many other nations which definitely creates a lot of hassles for law abiding citizens who want to change their future prospects by immigrating to some other place they think has opportunities for them. Choosing an immigration lawyer can help you in the entire process.
Choosing the Right Immigration Attorney in US Immigration
It is vital to choose an experienced and reputed lawyer to take care of the issues related to your immigration. It is because you don’t want to end up facing adverse situations in getting permission to enter in the country, even if you deserve it so, from all angles. A right lawyer will help you in dealing with all legal and official formalities. Being aware of all the complex laws related to immigration to US, a lawyer will help you in a professional way. You won’t get stuck with piles of legal papers and completing all formalities without guidance. Hiring an immigration lawyer must not be done in a hurry. Follow the below tips to know how to hire an immigration lawyer.
- His integrity and honesty in making you aware of the rules and laws regarding immigration is also important. If he is encouraging you to lie or go for counterfeit documents, you should forget about hiring that lawyer. You don’t want to live in another country, with fake documents. Right?
- Check the affiliation of the lawyer you are choosing. If he or she is a member of the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association (AILA), then it is a good sign. The AILA is, by far, the most reputed network of professional immigration lawyers. If he is there, it means he is in sync with changing dynamics of immigration laws.
- Communication skills of the lawyer matter a lot. If you are unable to understand or explain the lawyer your case, it can lead to lack of understanding between you both. You must be comfortable with the language of the lawyer.
- Immigration is strictly federal in nature and there are no specific state laws. So you don’t need to go for a state attorney. Choose the best lawyer irrespective of the state, as nowadays, petitions can also be filed online.
- Credentials, board certifications, accolades and educational qualifications of the lawyer give you a detailed idea about the expertise of the immigration lawyer. But this is just an indicator and not a cent percent truth. It is best to research about the work experience of the lawyer. What he did as a lawyer is more important, even if he has graduated from a mediocre law school.
- How do you find the services of the immigration lawyer and his team. Does he own a dedicated office with upgraded technology and Internet. Does he own a secured website? Do you find it easier to browse the website?
- Do you find the information on his website, well researched and with citation? A good lawyer will always give his best to keep all information on his website, updated.
- Lawyers fee is certainly the most crucial factor. If he is charging you way too high or low (highly unlikely, isn’t it?) then look for competitive prices by contacting a number of other lawyers in the same line of business. Don’t pay too much, as there are many other talented lawyers whom you can hire. Search well!
- Work experience of the lawyer is also one of the greatest determiners of success in this field. Immigration lawyers with years of experience in the field of immigration laws can help you immensely.
- You must make sure that the immigration attorney has no track record of irregularities or complaints in the reputed State bar. Any complain in the state bar is a sign that the attorney has some problems in his business practice. And it is only in genuine cases that complaints against attorneys are considered in state bars, so you must examine this factor.
- You can also rely on referrals of people close to you. It is always great to go through referrals, as you don’t need market sources to question the ability of the lawyer.
- Office of the attorney and the number of staff workers can also give you a great idea about his work.